You can stream over-the-air channels from HDHomeRun to all generations of Amazon Fire TV.
The HDHomeRun app is supported on Amazon Fire TV Stick, Fire TV Stick Lite, Fire TV Stick 4K and Fire TV Cube (1st and 2nd gen).
Table of Contents
- How does HDHomeRun work with Fire TV?
- How to install HDHomeRun on Fire TV
- Can you install HDHomeRun on a Fire TV Edition TV?
- How to use HDHomeRun app on Fire TV
How does HDHomeRun work with Fire TV?
HDHomeRun tuners stream local broadcast TV signals from a TV antenna to Amazon Fire TV devices across your WiFi network.
That includes Amazon Fire HD tablets and Fire TV Edition televisions. You need a TV antenna connected to your HDHomeRun unit, and an Internet connection. Local broadcast channels include ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and PBS.
How to install HDHomeRun on Fire TV
To watch live over-the-air channels on Fire TV, you need to set up the HDHomeRun unit. HDHomeRun units make over-the-air TV signals available on your home WiFi network.
- Connect the TV antenna cord to the F-connector port on the back of HDHomeRun.
- Plug an Ethernet cord into a WiFi router. Connect the other end of the cord to the back of the HDHomeRun Ethernet port.
- Attach the power adapter to the HDHomeRun for power.
- On a PC, go to http://hdhomerun.local/ using a web browser.
- Under the menu, click on “Channel Lineup”.
- Choose “Antenna” on the pulldown menu at the top of the screen.
- Press the “Detect Channels” tab and let the channel scan run.
- Add the HDHomeRun app to your Fire TV device.
Once the channel scan on your PC is complete, you can start watching live TV on Amazon Fire TV devices through the HDHomeRun app.
The HDHomeRun app will automatically pull in your live TV channels. So you don’t need to sign in or activate the app.
You can also set up HDHomeRun to work on third-party apps such as Plex and Channels.
Can you install HDHomeRun on a Fire TV Edition TV?
You can connect HDHomeRun to an Amazon Fire TV Edition television, but HDHomeRun will not add channels to your integrated channel guide.
You will still need to watch the live TV feed from HDHomeRun through the HDHomeRun app. A Fire TV Recast is a better OTA DVR option for integrating with the TV’s native channel guide.
How to use HDHomeRun app on Fire TV
The HDHomeRun app has a unique channel guide for live TV.
It runs on the right side of the screen, so you can keep watching live TV while scrolling through channels. At the bottom of the screen there are navigation buttons to manage recordings, enable Closed Captions and the Discovery menu.
For $35 per year, you can also use HDHomeRun’s DVR service. But whether you pay for the subscription or not, you can always use the HDHomeRun app to watch live TV.
The HDHomeRun app on Fire TV is definitely more polished than the HDHomeRun app for Roku. But you have other choices for streaming OTA channels on Fire TV devices as well.
Fire TV can also use third-party apps for live TV and DVR, including Plex and Channels.
Founder and Editor of The Cord Cutting Report. Before launching the site in 2016, he worked for more than two decades as a staff writer or correspondent for a number of daily newspapers, including The Boston Globe. His enthusiasm for tech began with the Atari 2600. Follow @james_kimble