The NVIDIA Shield is unique among streaming devices that work with HDHomeRun.
The Shield can be paired with an HDHomeRun to stream local over-the-air channels from a TV antenna. But, the Shield Pro can also be a media server if you are using HDHomeRun with Plex.
Table of Contents
- How does HDHomeRun work with NVIDIA Shield?
- Can you watch live TV on NVIDIA Shield?
- What TV tuners work with NVIDIA Shield?
- How do I install HDHomeRun on the NVIDIA Shield?
- How to install the Live Channels app on NVIDIA Shield?
How does HDHomeRun work with NVIDIA Shield?
HDHomeRun tuners receive local broadcast TV signals from a TV antenna and make them available on NVIDIA Shield and other devices on your home WiFi network.
The live TV channels and recordings are available through the HDHomeRun app. You can also use third-party apps with HDHomeRun since NVIDIA Shield runs on Android TV.
Plex Pass subscribers can use the live TV and DVR features with HDHomeRun. The Live Channels app is also an option just like with the Google Chromecast with Google TV (3rd gen).
Can you watch live TV on NVIDIA Shield?
Yes. You need a TV antenna connected to a TV tuner such as HDHomeRun. You may also need an Internet connection, depending on what model of TV tuner you decide to use.
Local broadcast channels available over the air include ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and PBS. Independently-owned TV stations and sub-channels are available over-the-air.
What TV tuners work with NVIDIA Shield?
There are a few TV tuners that are compatible with NVIDIA Shield. All HDHomeRun tuners, including the FLEX and SCRIBE models, work with NVIDIA Shield.
Tablo’s line of OTA DVRs are also supported on the Shield’s version of Android TV. A Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD is a USB TV tuner that also works with NVIDIA Shield and Plex.
How do I install HDHomeRun on the NVIDIA Shield?
You don’t need to physically connect a HDHomeRun to the NVIDIA Shield. Here’s what you need to do to get HDHomeRun working with NVIDIA Shield.
- Connect the TV antenna cord to the F-connector port on the back of the HDHomeRun TV tuner.
- Plug an Ethernet cord into a WiFi router LAN port. Connect the other end of the cord to the back of the HDHomeRun Ethernet port.
- Attach the power adapter to the HDHomeRun for power.
- On a PC, go to http://hdhomerun.local/ using a web browser.
- Under the menu, click on “Channel Lineup”.
- Choose “Antenna” on the pulldown menu at the top of the screen.
- Press the “Detect Channels” tab and let the channel scan run.
- Add the HDHomeRun app to your NVIDIA Shield through the Google Play Store.
Once the channel scan on your PC is complete, you can start watching live TV on NVIDIA Shield through the HDHomeRun app.
If you want to use Plex on NVIDIA Shield then you will need to set up HDHomeRun through your Plex server.
How to install the Live Channels app on NVIDIA Shield?
The Live Channels app is available free on the Google Play Store.
Live Channels on NVIDIA Shield should detect your HDHomeRun tuner. But if you don’t see channels from HDHomeRun, it’s easy to fix.
- Press the center wheel of your remote control.
- Scroll down to “TV options”
- Select “Settings” to set up your channel sources.
You can now watch your live over-the-air channels from HDHomeRun on the Live Channels app.
Are you going to add HDHomeRun to your home setup? Here is a detailed breakdown of all HDHomeRun models in my review along with more hands-on guidance and tips.
Founder and Editor of The Cord Cutting Report. Before launching the site in 2016, he worked for more than two decades as a staff writer or correspondent for a number of daily newspapers, including The Boston Globe. His enthusiasm for tech began with the Atari 2600. Follow @james_kimble