HDHomeRun works on the latest generation of Google Chromecast with Google TV.
You can stream over-the-air channels from HDHomeRun to the HDHomeRun app, Plex or the Live Channels app.
On Smart TVs powered with Google TV, you can also integrate live over-the-air channels into the “Live” tab, or native TV channel guide.
Table of Contents
- How does HDHomeRun work with Google Chromecast?
- How to install HDHomeRun on Google Chromecast
- Can you install HDHomeRun on Google TV?
- How to use HDHomeRun app on Google Chromecast
- Does Live Channels work with HDHomeRun?
- Does Chromecast with Google TV have live channels?
How does HDHomeRun work with Google Chromecast?
HDHomeRun tuners stream local broadcast TV signals from a TV antenna to Google Chromecast with Google TV 4K, or Chromecast with Google TV (HD).
The HDHomeRun tuner makes digital TV signals available across your WiFi network. So you can watch live TV on smartphones, and streaming devices such as Roku and Amazon Fire TV.
You need a TV antenna connected to your HDHomeRun unit, and an Internet connection. Local broadcast channels include ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and PBS. Independently-owned TV stations and sub-channels are available over-the-air as well.
How to install HDHomeRun on Google Chromecast
To watch live over-the-air channels on Google Chromecast with Google TV, you need to set up the HDHomeRun unit. Follow these steps to get HDHomeRun working with Google Chromecast with Google TV.
- Connect the TV antenna cord to the F-connector port on the back of the HDHomeRun tuner.
- Plug an Ethernet cord into a WiFi router. Connect the other end of the cord to the back of the HDHomeRun Ethernet port.
- Attach the power adapter to the HDHomeRun for power.
- On a PC, go to http://hdhomerun.local/ using a web browser.
- Under the menu, click on “Channel Lineup”.
- Choose “Antenna” on the pulldown menu at the top of the screen.
- Press the “Detect Channels” tab and let the channel scan run.
- Add the HDHomeRun app to your Chromecast using the Google Play Store.
Once the channel scan on your PC is complete, you can start watching live TV on the HDHomeRun app.
With Google TV (and Android TV), you can watch over-the-air broadcast channels from HDHomeRun on the Live Channels app or Plex. You will need to have a Plex Pass and setup up the live TV and DVR option to use HDHomeRun.
Can you install HDHomeRun on Google TV?
Yes. Smart TVs powered by Google TV can integrate channels from HDHomeRun into the television’s native channel menu.
The HDHomeRun can appear within the “Live” tab on Google TV on Smart TVs. You will still need to watch recordings through the HDHomeRun app.
How to use HDHomeRun app on Google Chromecast
The HDHomeRun app has a channel guide that runs on the right side of the screen. It allows you to keep watching live TV while scrolling through channels.
At the bottom of the screen there are navigation buttons to manage recordings, enable Closed Captions and the Discovery menu.
For $35 per year, you can use HDHomeRun’s DVR service. But whether you pay for the subscription or not, you can always use the HDHomeRun app to watch live TV.
Google Chromecast can use Plex for a live TV menu and DVR. You need to subscribe to Plex Pass.
Does Live Channels work with HDHomeRun?
Yes. The Live Channels app on Google TV and Android TV devices works with HDHomeRun. You can watch live TV, but it doesn’t provide a DVR option.
Does Chromecast with Google TV have live channels?
Yes. The third-generation Google Chromecast with Google TV has the “Live Channels” app. The Live Channels app is compatible with HDHomeRun.
Are you going to add HDHomeRun to your home setup?
Want to learn how to set up an HDHomeRun, and a detailed breakdown of HDHomeRun models? Read my HDHomeRun review for more hands-on guidance. I break down every model and DVR setup.